When I tell any truth it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those who do....
-Wm. Blake








"A Bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings
Because it has a Song...." ~ Maya Angelou

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

*All Sold Out.......*

I am the American Dream.
I keep the King Dream alive.
I'm out here trying to make it,
gotta hustle to survive.
I've been blessed with the burden of being blessed,
And I dont need that stress.
Why'd everyone have to fight so hard,
to give me their best,
when I'm trying to settle for less?
This is MY time,
so i dont have the time,
to take the time,
to take time out, and appreciate the sunshine;
Cuz i gotta make it Rain.
And if you keep preaching that
"I should respect my past", and saying something bout
what the "Jesus Christ, MartinLutherKingRosaParksFrederickDuboiseHArrietTubman..." one
more time, calling me out MY name...
I'ma be more than two seconds away, from two-steppin my way to walkin' it outta here...
Cuz i claim my own fame.
You say remember what????
Middle Class America aint never been so hard.
Gotta get a real education to get a good job???
Man F*** that,
my gat got my back..
Well,...
I aint got it yet.
But wait 'till my momma's next pay check.
She'll give me some money,
so I can go so hard, stay fly and still stuntin'.
And i met this chick, told me i need to get my life together,
said i need to trade my apathy for respect, nothing I do will last forever..
And i dont even know what the F*** that mean,
So i told her money over B******, traded her to another team.
Why do i care about this American Dream that my parents worked so hard for, just to break bread for you?
Well I dont want a piece of the American pie, I want to take a bite out of that cake,
AND eat it too.
Cuz I have a dream.
That someday everybody would just stop hatin' on a G.
Cuz I tried that nice guy routine,
didn't really work out.
was smart and had a kind heart,
but i kept feelin' left out.
So i said, F*** that, gotta get me some street cred.
Gotta sell and smoke weed,
walk through life usin' my otha head.
Gotta get me a bobble head.
Maybe grow some dreads,
Oh, and tell em' i'm from Buck Head.
Or i could rep New York, I got some family from there,
ha, I never lived in the hood a day in my life, but i gotta have a story to tell.
So my life is looking good,
cuz I'm all about the come up.
Who cares about the Civil rights movement?
I gotta get my weight up.
You talk about "remember the struggle, and if things get hard
to look up.
Well i struggle every day with my Iced-out Jesus piece,
Can't even keep my head up.
It's weighin' me down,
But as long as i got swag,
I've never look back on the life I coud've had,
cuz I AM the American Dream.....!


*We are more, than what we have become...
......Remember.....




~Ash

2 comments:

autumn said...

You know I have to be honest...haha I like your comment. Yes,Black in America is really interesting and people DO need to acknowledge all the things wrong with this country. However, I wish Obama was actually so different than all the other poltically expedient politicans..:( other than the color of his skin,he's not. Go ahead,hate me..but I have to be real. Without a speech, he wouldn't really be as successful. But I'm glad he inspires you and many others that change is really coming. I'm still waiting for the meat in his politial game to surface..like the old saying goes,all sizzle/no steak.as jay z would say, show me what ya got!

B Harg. said...

if i didnt know any better, i'd the comment below was left by autumn lol did you write this poem toots? it hits home. you need to start performing woman! reach the masses!